Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Parenting 101

Sometimes, I want to smack people. Have you ever gone to the store or a restaurant and heard a cranky little one? That does not bother me. I mean, they are children and do not know yet how to communicate their feelings or control their moods. They are learning and there has to be a curve.

Something that does bother me is the grumpy bystanders that turn their noses up and whisper under their breath how awful a child is. Get over yourself people! Once upon a time, you were a tired baby. You had a wet diaper and missed your nap. Have a little compassion. Can’t you see the worn and weary Momma struggling to make it through her shopping?

To the other extreme, sometimes I want to smack a parent. Have you ever gone to the store and seen a parent negotiating with their undeserving child? It will go something like this.

“Mommy, I want (insert whatever item the rotten child wants.)”

“No Bobby, not today.”

Bobby whines, Bobby cries, Bobby throws himself on the floor. Mommy caves because she is too weak to hold her ground. Bobby is rewarded for his bad behavior and Mommy lost a little more control of her home. Mommy needs smacked.

Don’t get me wrong, I have fit in that last category once or twice. Shame on me. I needed to be properly smacked. I was creating a beast. I had to tame it and caused myself more heartache because of it.

Remember, discipline is love. Discipline is boundaries in a world gone a bit insane. Discipline creates a safe and happy environment for everyone in the home and prepares your children for a life that is not always easy. I do not think a busting is always the answer but am not afraid to pop the rod across a deserving rear-end. I would much rather my child to have a hurt pride and sore hinny than to be unprepared for life.

Peace, love and God’s will.

No comments:

Post a Comment