Saturday, January 23, 2010

Mountain Life 14

In the days, weeks and months that followed our escape, God’s hand continued to move swiftly. At the time, it was hard to see but hindsight is 20/20.

As many of you know, the housing market stinks. Yet, we sold and closed on our house within thirty days of leaving Texas. God is so good. Quinton’s sister bought it for a very low price. I mean half of what it was worth. Some thought we were crazy for selling it for a loss but I disagree and let me tell you why. It is just a house. All the valuable things had been sent away on May 1st. Quinton’s sister needed a house and who better to have it than family. All paperwork was signed by Quinton’s mom. We have not been back to Texas.

We bought a twenty-foot travel trailer to stay in while we built our house. My aunt was wonderful enough to allow us to hook to her water and electric. I am not the happy-camper type and there were probably a hundred different times my family should have had me drawn and quartered for my bad attitude and general fit throwing. I was still trying to swallow the jagged pill of loss. It is not something I am proud of but I am able to admit I was difficult. Seven people and three dogs in 160 sq ft is a hard task for a weekend. We stayed there for 9 months.

First, we had to have the land cleared. Problem was we had to wait a month for an appointment with a dozer. Being the rock-heads we are, we decided to cut our road while we waited. Have you ever cut down a tree? I don’t mean a little sapling but a big thick tree. We had to cut down nearly a hundred. It was 950 feet to the beginning of our property from the county road. How about moving rocks? Have you ever moved a rock as big as your car? We moved dozens. All this in temperatures in the high 90’s or low 100’s.

We awoke before sun-up each day and worked until noon. We returned to the trailer, ate lunch and took a nap. Yes, I am 35 and love naps. At 4, we returned to the road and worked until night fall. I have to admit, there were days that I stood strike. I actually refused to move another rock or branch. Not once in this time did I have to prod the children to bed. They went happily and were asleep when their heads hit the pillow.

When I threw my pity-parties, my poor husband should have shaken me but he just kissed me and went with the boys or alone. See, he needed that time in God’s wilderness more than I needed shade and AC. I now realize it was how he was able to cope with what had happened to his family. He may not have been able to change what was done but he could cut a road with his own two hands and that was a sure thing when the world around us was crazy.

On day 30 of cutting our road, we made it to the build spot. The dozer showed up the next day, along with Quinton’s sister (cash in hand for the house.) We watched the dozer operator the same way others watch a ball game. He did in a few hours what would have taken us months or even years. It was a beautiful thing, let me tell you. Now, it was time for the real work to begin.

More tomorrow? Peace, love and God’s will.


  1. Ah, naps, what a wonderful way to escape the world, even for just a few minutes! :)

  2. I can't wait until we begin our own adventure up there. hehehe. I know there will be times I'll be impossible and it won't be nearly as difficult as what you went through.